For the past two weeks, Toronto has been blessed by the presence of many notable scholars of our time, including Habib Ali, Sh. Yahya Rhodus and Dr. Umar Faruq. The annual RIS convention and knowledge retreat draws tens of thousands of people and this years’ appeared bigger than ever. This year’s theme was The Ten Commandments, and all of the speeches touched upon this in one way or another.
In the area outside of the lecture theatre, the bazaar was bustling with trade and social activity, just like a traditional souk. The huge variety of colourful booths offered everything from Saudi Arabian scents to halal marshmallows . Significantly larger than last year, the bazaar attracted probably all of the RIS attendees at one point or another, many spending all of their time between lectures there, wandering the aisles looking for beneficial goods and information.
Shortly before RIS, I posted some information on booths you may want to visit. So, how did they do?
- The SeekersGuidance booth had no shortage of interested attendees stop by, being in a prime position in the central aisle. Many were looking to sign up for an online course with the SeekersGuidance Academy and also to find out more about our other services, such as live seminars, the blog, and the Answers service. The booth also drew crowds due to the numerous scholars who visited it throughout the weekend.
- The large area surrounding the Firdous Books booths was probably the busiest in the entire bazaar. Carrying one of the widest selection of traditional works, plus accessories such as leather note pads and book marks, Firdous books was busy around the clock. Missed the booth? Check out their website
- Zenhom got showed all around the bazaar as nasheed artist Nader Khan performed at the Firdous books booth, wearing a Zenhom shirt.
- The surprise clothing launch at Artizaara, by Peter Gould was high quality T-shirts for both men and women, with beautiful prints designed by Peter.
One happy customer said of the T-shirts: “Soft, stretchy, appealing, unique, soooo comfortable and the perfect length!” (Shona, Michigan)
- Sister has Style gave out information on their new website and enjoyed meeting the hundreds of sisters who stopped by the booth. This year, a few more masculine prayer bead styles were added to the collection for sale, and proved very popular.