A Meeting with a Great Scholar of This Age
By Ustadh Anik Abdullah Misra
Last night, six members of the Seekers Guidance team who reside in Amman, Jordan had the opportunity to meet Shaykh Mufti Taqi ‘Uthmani. Considered by many people of knowledge to be one of the foremost scholars of our age, and especially known for his pioneering work in the field of Islamic Finance, the shaykh was visiting Amman to attend a conference of scholars regarding Islam and the Environment. Other scholars that the group had the chance of greeting that night included Shaykh Yusuf Qaradawi, Shaykh Abdullah bin Bayyah and Dr. Ingrid Matson.
After some hours of anxious waiting, we had the chance to spend a few minutes with Mufti Taqi Uthmani in the lobby of his hotel after the day’s proceedings. Being aspiring students of knowledge, we asked what advice he had for those seeking to study the Islamic sacred sciences. He responded in Arabic, to the effect that:
1) Sacred knowledge is of no use or benefit to the aspiring student unless they act upon their knowledge and bases their works upon it. And the most beneficial of works is that which brings one closer to the obedience of Allah Most High.
2) A student must purify their intention as to why they are seeking knowledge. Their intention must be purely and sincerely for the sake of Allah Most High.
3) A student should firmly adhere to the Sunnah (life-example) of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) in every aspect and circumstance of their life.
4) A student must be constantly turning back to Allah Most High through their life journey, in all situations. Returning means to seek help from Allah against all difficulties and challenges, to seek to please Him, to seek protection and forgiveness from Him, and to be grateful and humble to Him.
5) A student of knowledge must be make lots of supplication (dua’) to Allah Most High, for every single one of his needs, whether they be needs of this world or the next.
Then, the Shaykh answered two questions briefly and returned to his room to rest for the next day’s events. We noticed how the greatest of scholars such as Mufti Taqi always gave the most comprehensive advice when asked, which was most relevant to everyone and reflected their deep wisdom. We were thankful for the opportunity to meet this erudite and wise scholar of our times, even if it was for a short time, and we hope that we can all act on these advices. We ask Allah Most High to bless all of the students of knowledge and give us tawfiq and sincerity.
Ustadh Anik Abdullah Misra is currently teaching Meccan Dawn: The Life of the Beloved Prophet Muhammad at SeekersGuidance this semester.